Law No 84-1 of 4 February 1984
(1) The United Republic of Cameroon shall, with effect from the date of entry into force of this law, be known as Republic of Cameroon (Law No 84-1 of 4 February 1984).
(2) The Republic of Cameroon shall be a decentralized unitary State. It shall be one and indivisible, secular, democratic and dedicated to social service. It shall recognize and protect traditional values that conform to democratic principles, human rights and the law. It shall ensure the equality of all citizens before the law.
(3) The official languages of the, Republic of Cameroon shall be English and French, both languages having the same status. The State shall guarantee the promotion of bilingualism throughout the country. It shall endeavour to protect and promote national languages.
(4) Its motto shall be ” Peace-Work-Fatherland”.
(5) Its flag shall be three equal vertical stripes of green, red and yellow charged with one gold star in the centre of the red stripe.
(6) Its national anthem shall be “O Cameroon, Cradle of our Forefathers”.
(7) The seal of the Republic of Cameroon shall be a circular medallion in bas-relief, 46 millimetres in diameter, bearing on the obverse and in the centre the head of girl in profile turned to the dexter towards a coffee branch with two leaves and flanked on the sinister by five cocoa pods, with the French words République du Cameroun” inscribed below the upper edge and the national motto “Paix-Travail-Patrie” inscribed above the lower edge; on the reverse and in the centre the coat of arms of the Republic of Cameroon, with the English words ” Republic of Cameroon ” inscribed beneath the upper edge and the national motto ” Peace-Work-Fatherland ” inscribed above the lower edge.
The coat of arms of the Republic of Cameroon shall be an escutcheon surmounted chief by the legend “Republic of Cameroon” and supported by two crossed fasces with the motto ” Peace-Work-Fatherland ” base.
The escutcheon shall be composed of a star on a field vent and triangle gules, charged with the geographical outline of Cameroon azure, and surcharged with the sword and scales of justice sable.
(8) The Capital of the Republic of Cameroon shall be Yaoundé.